I gathered my side notes on recommendation project while doing SSENSE’s product display pages (PDP) where my developped model serves as an output on PDP pages’ widget.
Why we have recommendation nowadays? The internet goes from web directory (a list) to search engine (passive), now emerging with recommendation system (pro-active). All serve the need to help internet surfer discovers/finds relevant information with the overload of information.
Recommendation Algorithm Summary
State-of-art algorithm & Classical Approach:
- Popularity: not just hot
- Collaborative Filtering
- Memory Based / Neighbourhood Based: User-based x Item-based (kNN)
- Model Based:
- Association Rule: Apriori, FP-Growth
- Matrix Decomposition: SVD/SVD++, Factorization Machine (ALS)
- Clustering: User-based x Item-based
- Classification/Regression Model: purchase/visit as Y
- LSA / pLSA / LDA: vectorize items
- Restricted Boltzmann Machine (RBM): 2-layer neural network
- Graph-based algorithm
- Session-based RNN
- Content-based / Knowledge-based
- Item Attribut Vector x User Profile Vector
- Context-aware: when, where, mood
Recommendation System Properties
Detailed explaination in properties can be found on
Recommender Systems Handbook: chapter 8.3
Implicit & Explicit Feedback
- Explicit: user explicitly expresses like/dislike, e.g. rating, like
- Implicit: Not as obvious in terms of preference, it’s only the observation, e.g. purchase, hits
Implicit feedback algorithm starts from:
Hu, Yifan, Yehuda Koren, and Chris Volinsky. "Collaborative filtering for implicit feedback datasets." Data Mining, 2008. ICDM'08. Eighth IEEE International Conference on. Ieee, 2008.
We have two main challenges: cold start on users & items, long tail on items.
Existing pipeline on ssense.com
Three stages of evaluation on recommendation: